R-1 Temporary Nonimmigrant Workers


R-1 status is available for a foreign national who is coming to the United States temporarily to work at least part time for a non-profit religious organization located in the United States to work as a minister or in a religious vocation or occupation.

To become eligible for R-1 status, one must have been a member of a religious denomination that has a bona fide non-profit religious organization located in the United States for a minimum of two years immediately before filing the petition. A potential or existing United States employer must file a Form I-129 on behalf of a R-1 worker. Prior USCIS approval of the I-129 is needed before an R-1 Visa may be issued at a United States Embassy or consulate.

USCIS is permitted to grant R-1 status for an initial period of up to 30 months. Any extension thereafter may be granted for up to an additional 30 months. The R-1 classification may not exceed a period of five years. The spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 may be eligible for R-2 classification but may not be authorized to accept employment.


For more information regarding R-1 Visas, and the process of obtaining a R-1 Visa, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: jyb@jybennettlaw.com.