J-1 & J-2 Visa

J-1 Exchange Visitors, J-2 Visas

J-1 Classification for exchange visitors can be given to individuals who intend to be a part of an approved program which focuses on teaching, instructing/ lecturing, studying, observing, researching, consulting, demonstrating special skills, receiving training, or to receive graduate medical or education or training. In regards to the responsibilities of the Exchange Visitors, the Department of State will designate public and private entities to act as exchange sponsors. This allows J-1 nonimmigrants to be sponsored by an exchange program that is designated as an exchange program by the United States Department of State. Some examples of exchange visitors may include: professors or scholars, research assistants, students, trainees, teachers, specialists.

Employment is allowed or J-1 exchange visitors only under the terms of the exchange program. The reasoning for this is that some J-1 nonimmigrants enter the United States for specific work purposes while others do not.

J-2 classification is entitled to an applicant’s spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21, regardless of nationality. Work authorization may be given to an applicant’s spouse and children, although the income made from their respective work may not be used to support the applicant. A spouse or child under the age of 21 may apply for work authorization through filing Form I-765 Application or Employment Authorization.

For more information regarding J-1 Visas, and the process of obtaining a J-1 Visa, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: jyb@jybennettlaw.com.