Kansas City F Visa

F-1 & M-1 Students and Employment Visas

Students who wish to study full-time in the United States must have a student visa. The two visa categories given to students are F and M visas. A student may become eligible for F or  M visa status is they:

  • 1) are enrolled in an academic educational program, a language training program, or a vocational program,
  • 2) the student’s school is approved by the student and exchange visitors program,
  • 3) the student is enrolled as a full time student at the approved institution,
  • 4) the student is proficient in English, or is enrolled in courses that lead to proficiency in English,
  • 5) the student must have sufficient funds available for self-support during the proposed course of study,
  • 6) the student must maintain a residence abroad that they do not intend on giving up.


A F-1 Visa specifically allows a student to enter the United States as a full-time student at an accredited school or language training program. The student must be enrolled in a program or course of study that culminates in a degree, diploma, or certificate and the school must be authorized by the United States to accept international students. A M-1 Visa includes students who participate in vocational or other nonacademic programs and other language training.

Students with F-1 status are not eligible to work off the campus of their school in their first academic year, but may accept employment that is on campus and subject to certain conditions and restrictions. Some programs allow F-1 students to seek employment off campus after their first year, and these allow the students to work for 3 types of employment after their first year which include: Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practial Training, and Science, Technology, Engineering, and mathematics training. Students with M-1 classification may engage in practical training only after they have completed their school studies. For both F-1 and M-1 students, any off-campus work and employment must be related to their specific area of study and must be authorized before they start any work by the Designated School Official.

For more information regarding Student and Employment Visas, and the process of obtaining a Student and Employment Visa, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: jyb@jybennettlaw.com.