Kansas City Asylum Attorneys

Political Asylum

Asylum is used for individuals who come to the United States looking for protection after they have suffered persecution in their home country or have fear that they will suffer prosecution in their home country because of:

  • Race
  • Religion
  • Nationality
  • Membership in a certain social group
  • Political stance


An eligible applicant for asylum is allowed in remain in the United States. An application for asylum must include a Form I-589 that is filed within one year of the applicant’s arrival in the United States. A spouse and children may be included in the same asylum application at the time of the application, or any time prior to the application decision being made.

An application for asylum can not include an application for employment authorization. Employment authorization may only be applied for if:

  • 1) 150 days have passed since the applicant filed their complete asylum application, excluding any delays caused by the applicant AND
  • 2) No decision has been made on the applicant’s application

When granted asylum, an applicant is eligible to work immediately.

An applicant for asylum may apply for a green card after being granted asylum. To do so, the applicant must file Form I-485. For each family member wishing to receive a green card an individual form must be filed.

For more information regarding asylum, and the process of asylum, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: jyb@jybennettlaw.com.