V Visas

Nonimmigrant (V) Visa for Spouse and Children of a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR)

V visas are incorporated with the Family Equity Act to allow family members who had been separated for long periods of time while waiting on the immigration process in the United States to be reunited. V visas specifically allow family members to remain in the United States with their Lawful Permanent Resident spouses and parents while they wait for the immigration process to be completed.


Those who wish to qualify to a V visa must meet all of the following requirements:

  • 1) the United States LPR spouse/ or parent must have filed a Form I-130, with USCIS on behalf of his or her spouse or children on or before December 21, 2000.
  • 2) the priority date on the petition must be at least three years old,
  • 3) the priority date on the petition must not be current,
  • 4) the applicant must not have already had an immigrant visa interview or be scheduled to have an interview,
  • 5) the petition must not already be at the United States embassy or consulate for immigrant visa processing, and
  • 6) the applicant must be otherwise eligible as an immigrant.


For more information regarding V Visas, and the process of obtaining a V Visa, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: jyb@jybennettlaw.com.