Immigrant Visa for a Spouse of a United States Citizen (IR1 or CR1)
IR1 and CR1 Visas are those given to foreign spouses of United States citizens. The foreign spouse must complete the visa process entirely outside of the United States. Upon approval of the application, the foreign spouse will then arrive in the United States and become a permanent resident of the United States.
To become eligible for an IR1 or CR1 Visa, the following requirements must be met:
- 1) the spouse and the United States citizen must be legally married, living together only does not meet the marriage requirement,
- 2) the spouse must be 18 years of age or older before they can go through the process
IR stands for immediate relative and will allow the visa holder to gain permanent residency in the United States for a period of years that may be renewed if the marriage continues to be valid. By contrast, CR stands for conditional residency and will allow the visa holder to gain conditional permanent residency in the United States for two years. The determination of which visa will be given to the spouse is dependent on the length of the marriage. If the marriage has been for two years or longer a IR will be awarded, and if the marriage has been for less than two years a CR will be awarded.
As a part of the application process, the petitioner must provide the following documents:
- 1) cover letter,
- 2) two passport style color pictures,
- 3) Birth certificate,
- 4) US passport,
- 5) Naturalization certificate,
- 6) marriage certificate,
- 7) prior marriage termination documentation,
- 8) employment letters, 9) last three years personal tax returns,
- 9) last three years W-2 forms,
- 10) evidence of assets.
As a part of the application process, the beneficiary must provide the following documents:
- 1) three passport style cover photos,
- 2) police certificates,
- 3) prior marriage documentation,
- 4) military records,
- 5) court and prison records,
- 6) deportation documentation.
- The married couple that is applying must also provide evidence of their marriage together.
For more information regarding IR1 or CR1 Visas, and the process of obtaining a IR1 or CR1 Visa, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: email@example.com.