Kansas City Green Cards

Green Card for a Family Member of a Permanent Resident

Permanent residents of the United States are allowed to petition for eligible relatives who live out of the country to come to the United States and live permanently. Those who may be petitioned for by a permanent resident include a spouse or unmarried child of any age who wishes to immigrate to the United States. Those that are in a family relationship which qualifies one as an eligible permanent United States resident then they are included in the family preference category.

There are different sets of steps for individuals hoping to get a green card while in the United States vs. those who wish to get a green card while living outside of the United States. For those currently living in the United States to earn a green card they must:

  • 1) have their permanent resident relative file Form I-130 for the individual and it must be approved by USCIS.
  • 2) once step one has been completed, and the priority date in the individual’s visa category has been met, a form I-485 must be filed. If an individual currently resides outside of the United States and they wish to get a green card, they must petition to become a permanent resident through consular processing.

For more information regarding Green Cards, and the process of obtaining a Green Card, please contact the Law Office of Jeffery Bennett via phone: 816-759-2776 (English), 816-759-2777 (Spanish); or via email: jyb@jybennettlaw.com.